Here are FIVE things you should not be doing when you write your college application essays.
- Do not try too hard. It comes across as really fake when you write with words the average person doesn't know.
- Don't just tell them what you did: show them. Tell them a story about that time you visited a volunteer center, don't just say you volunteered.
- Trying to do too much in one essay. If you have more than one metaphor, the odds are that it's crowded and confusing. Keep it simple.
- Cliches-- so many people write about not connecting with their culture, their life-shattering sports injury, or developing confidence in high school. Write an essay only YOU can write.
- Trying to seem perfect. A lot of people want to present themselves as the perfect person, but a little vulnerability makes everything seem so much more genuine.